During day time, the great natural light option to artificial solutions that make the room brighter and lighter is called Skylight. It is like an overhead window in the roof letting natural light inside of any enclosed area with open, airy feeling. It comes with the idea of feeling the necessity of sufficient sunlight within the house. Its installation provides various utilities, so its popularity has been increasing day by day in interior home décor.
Basic types of skylight:
Actually, two primary types of skylights are there who are as follows.
1. Curb–mounted – This type of skylight is set on a wooden frame that is heightened above the plane of the roof. Use of clear acrylic dome, or glass may make the curb-mounted glazed. Its flashing system includes a head flashing, a sill flashing and slide flashing of two pieces. In most cases, aluminum or sometimes galvanized steel is used in the flashings to match the color of the skylight frame.
2. Framed-in–place – This type of skylight is like a vertical window that is set with the help of L-shaped brackets. It provides a flashing system with the plane of the structure. The framed-in-place can be made glazed with the use of glass. This skylight also has sill flashing and a solid head.
Proper position of installation:
Installation of skylight in the proper place is very important to avail its maximum benefit. It will be installed in such a place where sunlight may come without any obstruction and improves home’s energy efficiency. For that, the ceiling walland insulation will be removed according to the size of the light. If it is a cathedral ceiling, the roof opening is required to cut. The necessary changes should be made to suit and fit the roof withskylight,. Besides cathedral ceilings, construction of the shaft is highly needed to divert the light into the room that connects the roof with the ceiling.
Recommendation for physical dimension:
The necessity of skylight is to illuminate the area with sufficient natural light. The size of the skylight is recommended as follows.
i) 5% of the floor area in the rooms that are provided with sufficient windows
ii) 15% of the floor area in the rooms where the number of windows are lesser than normal ones.
North facing skylight – Instead of generating a lot of heat, it will provide a fairly constant, cool illumination.
South facing skylight – As compared to other locations, this one ensures the greatest potential for passive solar heat gain.
East facing skylight – It has the advantage of receiving the maximum amount of both light and solar heat in the morning.
West facing skylight – This kind of sunlight ensures afternoon sunlight and heat.
Variety of skylight:
Skylight has a varied range of styles and designs, such as oval, rectangular, triangular or any type of shade that may be even odd.
Effects of installation of skylight:
1. Skylight installation reduces electricity consumption, thereby it is cost efficient.
2. Lack of sufficient sunlight may affect the skin, so skylight also solves this issue by providing regular natural sunlight.
3. It brings warm and spaciousness in the room.
So, for the above reasons use of skylight has been so popular in malls, hospitals, restaurants and other public places providing enough natural day light to light up the general areas.
So Choose best skylight fabricator or manufacturer at Kolkata in India